A Swindon-built diesel locomotive, which spent much of its life working hard in the coal industry of the Valleys, South Wales, has become the latest addition to the Swindon & Cricklade's (S&C) home fleet of engines.
The engine has stayed at the base of the S&C Railway for the last 32 years in private ownership so when the locomotive went up for sale, the railway seized the opportunity to add it to their permanent roster of engines.
The engine, Diesel local D2152, was built in 1958 at the Swindon Works for use on the Burry Port and Gwendraeth Valley Line. The loco was altered to have a cut-down cab as there were a number of low bridges on the line. D2152 would have been used in a pair or sometimes in three to pull heave trains full of coal down the tracks towards the port.
The locomotive was bought privately from British Rail in 1985, where it moved to it's original birthplace of Swindon, at the heritage railway. The purchase also comes as the Swindon & Cricklade Railway prepares to celebrate its 40th year with a diesel gala.
Latest from Unseen Steam :
- Severn Valley Railway receives flood of donations following vandalism
- NYMR to star in three-part documentary on Channel 5
- Colne Valley Railway's overhaul on track for completion
- Appeal for new-build Gresley cylinder block makes impressive progress