A grand total of four visiting locomotives, including two Black Fives, will star at the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway’s Winter Steam Gala this year.
The three day festival takes place on March 3-5 at the famous West Yorkshire heritage railway, and looks to be an action-packed event with so many engines running up and down the historical 5-mile-long branch line.
Technically there will only be three guest locomotives, but the fourth comes in the form of Black Five No. 45212 which, since its return to the tracks last Autumn after a restoration, has been under the occupancy of Ian Riley Engineering for the course of its mainline tour.
Joining 45212 will be one of Ian Riley’s own Black 5s, No. 45407 which will run onto KWVR metals after a mainline excursion to Holyhead. Both engines will be present during the winter steam gala in preparation for mainline railtour duties.
The remaining two visitors will be Thompson ‘B1’ No. 61264 (visiting courtesy of the Thompson B1 Locomotive Trust) and LMS Fowler-Hughes ‘Crab’ No. 13065, usually based at the East Lancashire Railway.
Worth Valley's home fleet in attendance will include :
‘WD’ 2-8-0 No. 90733
‘4F’ No. 43924
USATC ‘S160’ No. 5820 ‘Big Jim’
LNWR ‘Coal Tank’ No. 1054,
Taff Vale Railway ‘O2’ No. 85
Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T No. 1704
BR Standard ‘4MT’ 4-6-0 No. 75078 is also booked to attend, but is suffering from a leaking super heater element. Owning group Standard 4 Locomotive Preservation Society are , however, confident she will be running, as they have a replacement set of elements to hand.
The Grafton Steam Crane will also be in steam and operating in Oakworth yard. For more information on the event visit www.kwvr.co.uk.
Latest from Unseen Steam :
- Severn Valley Railway announces Spring Steam Gala lineup
- Severn Valley Railway Diesel Depot earns coveted award
- Flying Scotsman experience at National Railway Museum
- Churnet Valley Railway to host its popular annual Winter Steam Gala next month
- First Steam of 2017 - Swanage Railway
- 2016 Review - part 5 : Irish International Tour
- 2016 Review - part 4 : Swanage steam to the River Frome
- 2016 Review - part 3 : Somerset & Dorset Commemorations