This Christmas members of the public will once again be able to sponsor a component on Britain’s newest and most powerful express passenger steam locomotive.
Public interest in seeing a new Gresley class P2 become a reality sooner rather than later is high with almost 900 people having already signed up to the ‘P2 for the price of a pint of beer per week’ (£10 per month or more) Covenant scheme since its launch. In addition, funds have been raised through The Founders Club (over 360 people have donated £1,000 each – target 100 people, now closed), The Cylinder Club (the target of 100 people to each pledge £1,000 achieved – now closed), The Boiler Club (over 165 people have pledged £2,000 each - target of 300 people), The Mikado Club (the target of 200 people to each pledge £1,000 reached – now closed), Dedicated Donations (over £315,000 from existing supporters sponsoring a variety of components) and the sponsorship of the locomotive’s distinctive front-end by The Gresley Society Trust. This means that the project has already raised – including Gift Aid – £2.5m and received pledges of £3.1m of the required £5m.
Mark Allatt, P2 Project Director and Trustee, The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, commented:
Latest from Unseen Steam
- Update on the project to build Gresley class P2 No. 2007
- First mainline railtour for No. 45596 'Bahamas' announced
- 'Oliver Cromwell' making last gala appearance this weekend
- Tornado to haul 'The White Rose' to Yorkshire in 2019
- The Return - No. 70000 'Britannia' at Bewdley (SVR)
- "It's Your Turn!" - S&D Class 7F No. 53808 on the turntable (WSR)
- The Little Engines - Lynton & Barnstaple Gala ( Sep/Oct 2018 )
- 9F freight - Mid-Hants Autumn Gala ( 21st October 2018)