Britain’s latest and East Yorkshire’s first preserved railway opened for the first time over the Bank Holiday weekend.
Based on the long-closed line from Malton to Driffield at Fimber, the line currently extends for some 100m, although permission has been given for the line eventually to extend for about a mile.
The Malton to Driffield line was constructed originally by the Malton & Driffield Junction Railway and opened on 13 April 1853. Taken over by the North Eastern Railway the following year, the line was subsequently owned by the LNER and British Railways (North Eastern Railway) before closure to passenger services o 3 June 1950. The line closed completely when freight traffic ceased on 20 October 1958. Subsequently dismantled, the line became the target of a preservation scheme in October 2008 with the launch of the Yorkshire Wolds Railway project.