KWVR marks 60th anniversary of the closure of the Queensbury Triangle line

Queensbury station
Lower Snippet : The KWVR marks the 60th anniversary of GNR route closure with new exhibition
Published Tue, 2015-05-26 10:58

Saturday 23 May saw the opening of an exhibition in the Museum of Rail Transport at Ingrow station on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway which will run for approximately six months marking the 60th anniversary of the ex-GNR lines that once linked Keighley with Bradford or Halifax via Queensbury.

Author/Source: 

Editorial

Photography: 

Queensbury station taken from a train heading towards Keighley on 30 July 1951. © Tony Wickens/Online Transport Archive (625)

The exhibition hosted by the Vintage Carriage Trust will feature many artifacts from the line including a marked chain stamped with Benton & Woodiwiss, the builders of the line, used to survey the line during construction. In addition the two GNR coaches from the VCT collection will be near to the exhibition within the museum showing typical examples of the kind of rolling stock used on the line during its early days. They may have even travelled over the route.
Nowadays part of the route (Cullingworth to Wilsden and Queensbury to Thornton, both including the viaducts at Thornton and Hewenden) are part of the expanding Sustrans managed cycleway and footpath. The Great Northern Railway Trail has become a valuable resource in the area. There are even proposals to extend the route through the lengthy Queensbury tunnel.
In the Ingrow area, Ingrow East station is unrecognisable as a builder’s yard, adjacent to the KWVR Ingrow West station whilst at GN Junction the base of the signal box is still discernible from the train.