This weekend the Great Central Railway will be hosting its last gala before the Santa Specials season starts, with an intensive timetable in operation.
This will be the final gala appearance for 70013 "Oliver Cromwell" (appearing courtesy of the National Railway Museum) before its overhaul. The gala will also feature five other locomotive, including one diesel engine.
Joining 70013 will be Stanier Class 5 45305 (returning to traffic following repair - subject to completion), 92214 "Leicester City", Stanier 8F 48624, BR Standard Class 5 73156 and diesel locomotive Class 45 "Peak" D123.
The weekend will have a 1960's feel with 3 BR Standard Class locomotives joining the earlier LMS designs of Sir William Stanier, and a sign of the future with diesel D123. Black 5 45305 will be making the first appearance since its recent repairs. Repairs to the Stanier Class 5 are currently nearing completion, and this loco is also hoped to be in service at the event.
Latest from Unseen Steam
- Tornado to haul 'The White Rose' to Yorkshire in 2019
- 100mph Tornado to run first Santa Steam Specials on the Nene Valley Railway
- 60th Anniversary of the Last Trains from Totnes to Ashburton
- GWSR's Santa Specials more popular than ever
- The Return - No. 70000 'Britannia' at Bewdley (SVR)
- "It's Your Turn!" - S&D Class 7F No. 53808 on the turntable (WSR)
- The Little Engines - Lynton & Barnstaple Gala ( Sep/Oct 2018 )
- 9F freight - Mid-Hants Autumn Gala ( 21st October 2018)