The project to build new Gresley class P2 steam locomotive No. 2007 Prince of Wales is delighted to announce that Shildon-based Bignall Group, in collaboration with Hexagon Metrology Limited, of Telford has sponsored the critical measurement of the locomotive using a state-of-the-art 3D laser tracker system.
Young aspiring engineering from UTC South Durham witnessed this equipment being used. These measurements will allow the engineers from The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust working on No. 2007 to precisely align all four wheelsets within the engine’s frames. This sponsorship is a significant contribution to the project not only in its monetary value, but also giving the Trust confidence that the results are precise, meaning considerably less time will be needed than using traditional methods.
Latest from Unseen Steam
- Visiting Swiss engine on the Snowdon Mountain Railway
- UK main line 'Mikado' engine taking shape
- Brand new Scottish steam tour announced for 2019
- Bluebell update on new build loco No.32424 Beachy Head
- Swans and Swanage - 13th September 2018
- Yatton Departure - 35028 "Clan Line" (9th Sep 2018)
- Glenfinnan Crossing - "Black 5s" nos 45212 and 45407
- 11th August Survivor - Stanier "Black 5" No. 44871